Summary Response Outline
- Topic sentence: Bully, by Lee Hirsch, portrays the very real problem of bullying through the stories of its victims.
- The stories show how terrible bullying really is. Some even prove that bullying can lead to self-hate, problems with families, and even suicide. In Bully, by Lee Hirsch, many students are interviewed on how bullying as effected their lives, and have lead to self-hate, social problems, and even suicide.
- Topic sentence: title, author, strong verb, agree/disagree (correctly portrays/ incorrectly portrays) because ___________ .
- Claim 1 Set-up- 1 Bully, by Lee Hirsch, is a serious movie, that correctly portrays how bullying can lead to self-hate, problems with families, and even suicide, because of teasing, physical, and emotional trauma by classmates.
- Evidence: Lead-in While being interviewed by the camera crew, Alex confessed his loneliness and insecurities, “I feel like I belong somewhere else,” (Hirsch).
- Explanation of quotation to prove claim: Alex implies that he’s not good enough to have friends or to fit in wherever he might be. Bullying through his years of schooling has destroyed his self esteem, and has made him think less of himself. These taints have lead him to hate himself, and have changed his life for the worse. Although many people see bullying is more physical harm, psychological harm is far more common in our modern schools. This emotional trauma can lead children to have problems in their lives and lead to actions such as suicide due to their thinking that it is better to end it then to keep suffering.
- Counterclaim 1:
- Set-up However, many school officials believe that bullying is just kids being kids and rough-housing. They have even held meetings and assemblies about anti-bullying and have confronted bullies and their parents.
- Evidence: Lead-in Many parents see bullying, yet they see that it is all in good fun, this line was taken from a school official during an interview on the seriousness of bullying. “Boys will be boys,” (Hirsch).
- Explanation of quotation to prove counterclaim
These boys are just horsing around calling each other names, and having some rough fun. Although some of these “bullies” might take it too far at times, many parents believe that their boys are just trying to connect with children that they don’t know, and so they are rough to try to see what the other kid is like. ALmost everyone has encountered these school yard games and taunts, yet we still made many friends and also became friends with the so called "bully". These games may be mean to some children, but these social encounters have made us stronger, made many friends, and prepared us for the hardships of the real world.
- What are the strengths/ flaws of this argument?
At first you might think that these children are only picking on one child, but on second glance you can see that all boys threaten and pick on each other all in good fun. I can understand why some people might think this, especially since children can be very rough, however, these boys are just having fun and expressing themselves in a way that some people might find mean-spirited. However, it is not as simple as that to believe, after the many incidents of suicide and self harm that these instances of roughhousing have caused.
- Concluding sentence: restate main idea